Sluggish Internet

bartonside 19:01 14 Jan 11

In the last week or so I have experienced real problems with my internet access. My ISP is AOL and I also use Firefox occasionally. Internet sites either take an age to load or will not respond properly to internal navigation. The prevalent result is a blank window and the word Done at the bottom and refreshing rarely helps. I try re-opening AOL and this sometimes provides a slight improvement but not for long. I live in the country and download speeds are, generally, less than 2mps which is dismal. Any advice that is not too technical (keep mit simple please!)would be welcome.

rdave13 19:29 14 Jan 11

Use speedtest to check your speed; click here Run it a couple of times. Check no 'crackling' noise on the 'phone and if you have any spare filters try changing one at a time.

bartonside 22:39 14 Jan 11

Thanks for your advice. I have changed two filters and that seems to have done the trick. I will change the third one tomorrow. This raises an interesting question - should filters be changed regularly, rather like the oil in my car?

rdave13 22:52 14 Jan 11

Not really. Filters do 'degrade' after time but you need to find out which one has degraded by elimination.
As you've replied at a late time it could also be that there's less 'contention ratio' at this time. I.e. less people using the internet at this time.
click here
seems a good read.
Did you check your 'phone line for noise?
Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…