Sluggish Computer

Speedy Gonzalez 22:48 07 May 04

I had a similar problem to this about a year ago when my Toshiba Protégé 3110 CT was running very sluggish. I the end we just re-installed windows 98 but I wonder if there is something else that can be done first. I have run the free McAfee scan and found no virus. I have clicked the options of delete temporary Internet files & offline content and deleted cookies.
The main symptom appears when I try to perform an operation like visit a site. There is a whooshing sound, the green disk light comes on and, although it performs the task, it takes many times longer than it should, as though something is holding it back or it is going somewhere else, round the houses.
Any ideas, please, what it may be and how I might fix it before having to think of re-installing it again? Is it just me, or does this happen to others, more than once, as well?
Also, can anyone, please, recommend a really efficient free spam buster and pop up blocker? I am suspicious of possible spyware applications & cookies causing a problem via unwanted spam e-mails. I do have gator.com installed, which is very handy for form filling but I wonder if it might attract third party problems?

VoG II 22:56 07 May 04

Gator is bad news. Ad-aware click here plus Spybot click here

Update each of them then scan. Delete everything that they find.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:58 07 May 04

' I do have gator.com installed'....click here are owned. click here and download Adaware free version. Run it.

Download CCleaner, free from click here and run it.

Dump gator pronto, use Roboform from click here, far superior IMHO.

Download Regseeker from click here and run it. Delete all the registry entries it finds. This lot should sort you out.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:00 07 May 04

' I do have gator.com installed'...you are OWNED! click here

.Download Adaware free version from click here. Run it.
G

romanab 23:02 07 May 04

Pop up stopper(also has autofill) click here

For spam try click here

Speedy Gonzalez 10:03 08 May 04

Thanks for all your advice. I have elbowed gator and am systematically working through your tips. Will let you know how it goes.

Speedy Gonzalez 18:48 08 May 04

Thanks for all your help VoG, Gandalf and romanab. I seem to be on my way now. Everything was going smoothly but I have two problems: 1)After installing regseeker, when I click on the desktop icon, it opens Word 2000. I can see only pages of symbols & text. I don't know why this should be so or what to do next. Have I done something wrong? Can I start over? 2)With Mailwash, I struggled to understand what was required for pop and smtp addresses. I seem to have set it up but when it tries to start, I get "bad username or password". How can I rectify this, please?
Otherwise, it seems to have been a success and I am grateful for your advice.

Gaz 25 18:56 08 May 04

Recently same has been with me on the net, I think its the sasser worm causing a slowdown on some sites.

Speedy Gonzalez 09:37 09 May 04

I have managed to install and get Mailwasher working now but I'm still stuck with regseeker. I have installed it again, the icon appears on the desktop but when I click on it, I just get Word 2000 showning pages of symbols and text. Can someone, please, dig me out of this one. Everything else has gone well, thank you. Gaz 25, I can't say why but I agree things seem slower and more erratic.

Speedy Gonzalez 17:22 30 Jul 04

I did all the things recommended by VoG, Gandalf and romanab and it all worked fine ... for a while. But now I find that pop ups are creeping back and my computer is as sluggish as before. I've used all the suggested tools plus the free version of AVG virus checker which found and cleared 3 viruses. Any fresh ideas to beat these gremlins please? I should say that I've had the basic Freeserve 512 broadband since last time, which had a few teething problems and sometimes disconnects. Could it have anything to do with that? I'd be grateful for any advice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:24 30 Jul 04

Gator removed, a good set of spy detectors, a virus detector, pop-up stopper + firewall should keep things running. The following combination works well

However clear the trash as well, temp files temp internet files etc.

ZoneAlarm click here
AVG antivirus click here

Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here Popup Stopper Basic click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…