Slowing down

Stymied 18:26 15 Nov 03

Recently my pc has slowed down considerably when closing files, or when I switch between open applications.

A couple of months ago, when this happened, I ran virus checks, scandisked and did other things to clean up the hard disk, as suggested in a couple of books e.g. Windows 98 for dummies. (I think I also tried to use Disk Defragmenter but I seem to remember that it couldn't manage to complete it.)

Things improved, not dramatically but noticeably, but I have noticed a sudden and fresh decline. My antivirus is updated regularly and I use Zone Alarm.

Where I get a message, it usually has something to do with memory. My pc's just failed to save a file because of insufficient memory.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

critic-al 18:29 15 Nov 03

how much memory do you have? more memory increases speed,

Joe McG 18:30 15 Nov 03

Stymied,
can you tell us a bit more about your system, particularly hard drive (size & Current capacity) ram, cpu.

I would suspect you have a spyware problem slowing your system down check out spywareinfo.com
forums for similar problems to yours

VoG II 19:09 15 Nov 03

could well be right about spyware. However you don't need to go to another forum (not yet, anyway).

Download and run Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here and see if there is a difference.

Stymied 14:30 17 Nov 03

I have downloaded the Ad Aware from the PCWorld mirror site but can't get at the Spybot site yet.

Will try again to download Spybot later. Will get back to this thread when I see whether it makes a difference. Thanks Critic -al, Joe McG, Ollyboy 77 and VoG.

As for the memory, I'm sorry but I don't know this offhand and I'm going to have to look it up before I get back to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…