Slow XP Pro - large numbers of non visible files

cga 10:23 24 Jul 04

My XP Pro is still very slow despite running a number of cleanup utilities (CCleaner, AShampoo etc.) and I noticed that scans were going through huge numbers (250000+) files on my C partition. As a result I started to investigate using Treesize. What I have found is significant numbers of files that do not show up under either Windows Explorer or Powerdesk.

Before anyone says about folder options, I have dealt with these and rechecked them, (display the content of systems folders is checked and Hide protected operating system files is unchecked).

An example is in Document & settings for myself under Local settings the Temporary Internet files appears empty but Treesize reveals a folder called Content.IE5 that contains files/folders (I cannot tell) that are each about 2Mb and have 8 character random names such as QRJ2L4EX

Does anyone have any idea what these are and why I cannot see or manage these?

Any advice will be welcome - thanks

cga 12:17 24 Jul 04

Bump

Brian-336451 12:32 24 Jul 04

If you go into Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, General, Temporary Internet files - you can move that folder onto another partition and see how much that affects your file count.

I am, of course assuming that you have a partitioned hard disk.

User-312386 12:35 24 Jul 04

the "QRJ2L4EX" files will be your identities for OE

C:\Documents and Settings\Your name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities

Graham ® 13:22 24 Jul 04

Have you scanned for viruses and spyware?

leo49 13:58 24 Jul 04

These folders with the random 8 digit names are what they say they are- temp internet folders - nothing to do with OE at all. You can safely delete the contents - although Windows will stop you removing the .dat which can be slimmed down by other means.

cga 15:03 24 Jul 04

Graham ® - I hve scanned for viruses and spyware. I Have an array of defences including Spybot & Adaware.

madboy33©® - I dont use Outlook Express and never have.

Brian May - Yes I do have a partitioned disk & I can try that.

Leo49 - Thanks for the info. The difficulty is How? I cant get Explorer to show anything regardless of folder settings.

leo49 15:35 24 Jul 04

I and a lot of folks use Steven Gould's excellent freeware CleanUp!,available here:

click here

cga 18:07 24 Jul 04

Thanks for that - I clearly was not running the correct cleanup software!!

It ran for a very long time and deleted 10's of thousands of files - including the ones in query.

Still intrigued why I could not get past Windows Explorer to see the content of the Temporary Internet Files folder but I have a much tidyer system now.

Thanks very much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now