Slow Wireless LAN ?

RISC OS user 12:44 PM 15 Jul 12

My HP Pavilion dv6 6GB of RAM appears very slow, and the WLAN also appears to be slow. I also have an HP Pavilion P6325 UK desktop which has an Intel i5 processor and 4GB of RAM. I have run 2 speed test one after the other on each computer in turn at various times and the Laptop always give a much lower speed than the Desktop. They are both connected to the same router, SpeedTouch ST 585 v6. The Desktop is via a wired LAN and the Laptop via the Wireless LAN. The Router shows a Bandwidth of 5495/440, and the WLAN has a Maximum of 54Mbps, the LAN shows a 100Mbps Maximum. Is this common or can I improve the Laptop internet speed? When I purchased the Laptop I was advised that the AMD with 4 processors would be as fast as the i5 computer, this does not appear correct any other thoughts on this please. Desktop speed 4703/361, Laptop speed 2677/343 some times slower! The Laptop is only 6 feet from the router.

KRONOS the First 13:03 PM 15 Jul 12

Wireless will always be slower than wired, and what CPU you have has no impact of the speed of your internet connection. You could get a better router. I assume that the Thompson was supplied by your ISP?

RISC OS user 13:59 PM 15 Jul 12

Yes it was about 5 years ago by Tiscali, I also have its replacement from Plusnet which I do not like very much. I have thought to replace them, but with what... I do not want to spent a fortune on one that may not be any better. Do you have any suggestions?

KRONOS the First 14:05 PM 15 Jul 12

For reliability I like Netgear but the one I have is not the best but as my PC's are all connected via Ethernet cable it has not really bothered me. But I have just bought a Nexus 7 and the wireless is not particularly great so am looking to upgrade myself in the near future.

I have no doubt others will advice an a suitable router.

rdave13 14:14 PM 15 Jul 12

Router I bought, using Plusnet, was this one. Works well and I updated the firmware. Surprised at some of the negative feedbacks on Amazon but I've had no trouble at all. Provisionally bought as a backup to a D-Link router but I'm using this instead. Cheap and effective.

KRONOS the First 15:09 PM 15 Jul 12

I have just bought this,Netgear I hope it is as reliable as the DG834 V4 it will replace.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…