Slow wireless broadband connection - why?

redmonkey 18:19 05 Mar 05

The main internet connection into our flat is 1MB Telewest Blueyonder broadband. From this I've got a Linksys Wireless-G Router broadcasting to a Linksys wireless-G card in my PCMCIA slot on a laptop

My issue is that I don't seem to be getting a very fast connection, either on the Web, or on downloads.

The fastest connection speed I ever get is 54 Mbps, and pages seem to take a while to load (faster than dial-up but not much quicker!). When I'm downloading stuff either P2P or through torrents, I never get above a speed of 12kb/s. Downloads from the Web don't get much faster either.

I know that I could and should be getting faster connection and download speeds than this, and wonder if I was doing something obviously wrong? On Task Manager it says I'm only utilising 1% of my wireless connection...

If it makes a difference, I'm running Norton Antivirus/Internet Security, plus have Lavasoft Ad-Watch professional running in the background

spikeychris 18:24 05 Mar 05

P2P and torrents. This could be your problem. Port forwarding is obviously an issue but I think changing your on-line habits could help somewhat.

redmonkey 18:40 05 Mar 05

Considered port-forwarding, but was concerned about the security as already had an attempt to hack the network, which prompted extra measures on the router

Admittedly P2P and torrents aren't something I'd promote for people to do, but they shouldn't be slowing the connextion by themselves

Even when I'm not downloading, the connection is slow and maxing at 54 Mbps. When I do, the speed doesn't change much at all - so I can't see how they'd be the cause?

spikeychris 18:57 05 Mar 05

Are you using third-party wireless management software?

redmonkey 19:06 05 Mar 05

Nope, never heard of anything like that. What does it do, and can you recommend a good 'un?

spikeychris 19:15 05 Mar 05

How do you connect to the router? Did you use an installation CD? If you right click your connection icon on the taskbar and select "view available networks" then click "change advanced settings" is there a wireless tab?

redmonkey 19:22 05 Mar 05

Connect to the router via wireless-G card

Used installation CD, now can make changes to router settings via specific IP address

Yes have got a 'wireless tab' - which I use to ensure network key etc match that of the router

spikeychris 19:30 05 Mar 05

"which I use to ensure network key etc match that of the router" Please explain.

Is Windows controlling the network? Is the box ticked? is "wireless zero config" running? From start type "services.msc" into run and find "wireless zero config"

redmonkey 19:39 05 Mar 05

I mean - for security there's a network key / SSID which the router has, and which I need to match on my computer, in order to access the secure wireless network, and to prevent others from leeching/hacking

Box for Windows to configure the network is ticked, and wireless zero config is running

How does all affect the connection speed?

spikeychris 19:50 05 Mar 05

"How does all affect the connection speed?" SSID will auto run as its a default setting. Are you using WEP? Are you running SP2?

redmonkey 19:53 05 Mar 05

Yes on both fronts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…