Slow Wired & Wireless PC, only slow computer on the network - Windows 8.1

NathanBennett 02:33 19 Jun 14

Hey everyone,

So, recently built a new gaming PC, with (unfortunately) windows 8.1.

I have been experiencing painfully slow internet with both wired and wireless connections.

Have updated drivers, changed adapter settings, on my wireless card (ASUS PCE-N53 Wireless-N PCI Express Adapter)

the speed on www.speedtest.net can jump from around 0.60Mbps to a maximum to to about 1.70Mbps

other computers on the network get a consistent speed around 6Mbps.

Any help would be so very very much appreciated, as i am on the brink of a complete meltdown.

mole1944 05:35 19 Jun 14

Try changing the the channel on your router you may be getting co-channel interference, if that fails get your service provider to check it out. I'm with Virgin mine went all over the place speed wise,turned out to be a dodgy cable now get 54-55 Mbps consistently pay for up to 50 Mbps.

mole1944 05:40 19 Jun 14

Oops forgot to mention on my desktop i use a USB wi-fi dongle only a couple of pounds from Amazon, just plugged it in let it load the drivers and wallah stable connection.

rdave13 14:35 19 Jun 14

Have you checked that Proxy server is unticked in lan settings for the Ethernet connection?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:52 19 Jun 14

Doesn't sound like a provider problem if other PCs are Ok.

Make sure your router isn't limiting the new machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple