slow windows 98 setup

bigboab y 12:39 24 Jan 03

I have a pentium 200 with 2.5 gigs hard drive.. decided to format HD to get rid of dross..format looked ok.. put in w98se disc.. ran setup... then "estimated time remaining" showed 195 minutes!!!!!!!!!! instead of the 30-60 minutes it showed the last time I installed windows..ON THE SAME MACHINE!!... any ideas out there? growing old waiting for it to load

Lú-tzé 13:38 24 Jan 03

Only one question: how long is the actual installation time, instead of that estimated?

No idea of why the difference though - was the last install a clean install or an upgrade?

Lú-tzé 13:39 24 Jan 03

OK - that was two questions...

brittas 14:07 24 Jan 03

I had 120 mins the other night - corrected to 40 after 15mins in !!!

Diemmess 15:20 24 Jan 03

What was once a proud 2.5Gb now shows its age!

There has to be a HD flaw somewhere. ........ My guess..... If you can face another fresh start then it is worth checking by format /v (I am not sure of the v switch but it will be in Format help.)

The idea is to do a thorough format and verify the disk surface to be sure this old HD isn't near its end. If it is flawed you may not be able to complete or perhaps run W98SE.

Diemmess 15:20 24 Jan 03

What was once a proud 2.5Gb now shows its age!

There has to be a HD flaw somewhere. ........ My guess..... If you can face another fresh start then it is worth checking by format /v (I am not sure of the v switch but it will be in Format help.)

The idea is to do a thorough format and verify the disk surface to be sure this old HD isn't near its end. If it is flawed you may not be able to complete or perhaps run W98SE.

bigboab y 15:35 24 Jan 03

Thanks guys/gals last install was clean install.. no idea how long it actually takes as i havnt been at home for three hours plus.. I have this gut feeling that the hard drive is working its ticket.. but i'll try that format/v thing.. I assume v means verify ... muchos gracias compadres .. (whatever)

Diemmess 15:48 24 Jan 03

Sorry about the double (finger trouble) post.

Please if the advice comes from me - assume nothing! I suggest check the actual switch before formatting. You understood the reason anyway.

If you get home and find it is all installed, it seems a shame to start again. Just be wary.

I know Defrag is supposed to do this for you, but I doubt if it is really thorough enough to spot trouble which is supposed to be dealt with by Scandisk long before.

Good luck anyway

bigboab y 13:20 25 Jan 03

Well just to ease the suspense.ran this thing for 5 hours.. now w98 takes 15 mins to load.. looks like hard disk is knacked..thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…