Slow Win98 Start up

RoyAlBlue 12:36 10 Jan 03
  RoyAlBlue 12:36 10 Jan 03

My son's computer, AMDk6-2 400MHz, 256MB Ram & 10GB Hard dirve, boots up very, very slowly, taking anything between 5 & 10 minutes to come on line. It is only running Coral Suite, Office Suite and Norton System Tools at present. The drive was an old slave drive from my computer, which was formatted and re-installed on this machine. Any suggestions as to how this can be rectified.

Gongoozler 13:13 10 Jan 03

RoyAlBlue, have a look in the startup menus, both Start - Run - (Type in msconfig 7 OK) - Startup, and in Start - Programs - Startup. See if there are any unnecessary programs being loaded at startup. I also suspect that your system could be having problems managing 256M ram. If this is in two sticks, try with only one of them. Windows 98 is often happier with no more than 128M. Norton System Tools also tends to hog resources. My personal opinion is that most of the tools are more trouble than use, and I would only use Norton AntiVirus, the rest I wouldn't let near my pc.

Gongoozler 08:06 11 Jan 03

RoyAlBlue, I'm pleased to see that your problem has been resolved. Can you tell me what the cure was.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…