Slow Win98 Start up

RoyAlBlue 12:34 10 Jan 03
  RoyAlBlue 12:34 10 Jan 03

My son's computer, AMDk6-2 400MHz, 256MB Ram & 10GB Hard dirve, boots up very, very slowly, taking anything between 5 & 10 minutes to come on line. It is only running Coral Suite, Office Suite and Nortoon SYstme Tools at present. The drive was an old slave drive from my computer, which was formatted and re-installed on this machine. Any suggestions as to how this can be rectified.

LastChip 14:32 10 Jan 03

Two minutes would be a long time.

It sounds like the system is searching for a non-existent file or something.

When you get a boot-up screen, press F8, until the machine gives you a menu screen, and select start in "Safe Mode".

See how long that takes.

If it is faster, the problem lays with a program that is starting as part of your startup programs, or a driver issue, for one of the peripheral devices.

If it remains a long drawn out process, it is likely that you have a problem within the Windows files themselves, which could mean a complete re-format (again!) and re-load, but there is another thing you could try first

Let us know the result.

Lú-tzé 14:38 10 Jan 03

This sounds somewhat excessive - you have a reasonable spec on the machine.

Disable most of the norton stuff - leave the AV running though.

click here

Check what is in sfc: start_run_msconfig

Defrag / run scandisk

click here for boot celerator if all else fails (but I am loathe to suggest adding more software...).

LastChip 14:43 10 Jan 03

Could you please not run two threads on the same subject.

It gets confusing to know which to try and pass help to.

Would be grateful if you would tick one or the other as resolved.

Thank you.

RoyAlBlue 15:08 10 Jan 03

One item I missed out is taht the 98 version I have is an upgrade and is installed over 95. Are there any known problems with this setup, that coudl be leading to the problems I am experiencing?

Lú-tzé 16:50 10 Jan 03

Perhaps it is time for a clean install of win98.

If that is what you want to do, and you have only an upgrade of win98, then you will need another (earlier) version of windows.

Lots of help available - search these pages for more advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…