Slow win7PC Fast vista Laptop

Ex plorer 14:20 07 May 14
Answered

Hi I have a win 7 i5 6MB ram Dell Inspiron one, its over two years old now and is so slow it takes around 15 seconds to open Google and searching is about 5-8 seconds.

My lap top is Win/Vista 2MB ram and its instant in opening to Goggle and searching.

Line speed is 540kbps it used to be 1.5kbps.

I am with Tiscali and have been for many years I have there latest modem as my old BT2000 was not performing well. I may swap it back and see if its faster.

I use wireless connection 100% of the time but have tried hard wiring the Dell with no better results. Both PCs are within two meters of the modem.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

If any one can suggest what I might try before I do a factory reset.

chub_tor 14:25 07 May 14

Which web browser are you using? Is it the same one on both machines? Have you tried using Chrome or Firefox instead of the standard IE?

Ex plorer 19:05 07 May 14

Always use Fire-fox, I did try IE but it was the same result.

chub_tor 12:51 08 May 14
Answer

Personally I use Chrome, for me it is the fastest of all the browsers, but click here for some suggestions from Microsoft. It sounds though as if you have some add-ons running on one machine that you don't have on the Vista laptop. Have you checked that?

kris594 22:44 08 May 14

If your win7 laptop is running slow overall, you could consider performing a factory reset. If the problem is only with google chrome then you could try to uninstall the browser and re-install it again... see if that helps. Also for the website opening times you could try wired up connection... see if there is any difference there. Get back to me if this helped you

Ex plorer 16:37 09 May 14

Hi tried all above methods, Its just not performing at all IE, FF, GC, wired, and tried going back and safe mode.

I have tried a new install but that's proving difficult so I will now close this thread and start a new one with help to install win 7.

Thanks to all who are trying to help.

rdave13 16:49 09 May 14

If you're still on the old installation, and nothing to lose run these programs, Adwcleaner, TDSSKiller and Junkware Removal Tool. Reboot needed after Adwcleaner. Run all the others, reboot and run Ccleaner as well as its reg cleaner.

rdave13 17:15 09 May 14

Forgot the link for bleepingcomputer where you'll get the links to download.

Ex plorer 17:34 09 May 14

rdave13 I never thought of that and would have gone down that street.

Jock1e tried CHKDSK but no go still slow.

Yes to your last question just found how to do it.

Re-set Dell Inspiron one PC all in one. Switch off PC Switch on computer and tap f8 untill you get an option screen from safe mode, go-back, repairs, backups, and a factory reset with or without back up.

I did make three disks when I first bought it, I think it popped up when I first switched it on. I also have just found the Diagnostics, utilities, and Drivers disk. That would have been handy.

Ok its finished the new install, would you allow the (auto updates and alerts), plus (system and usage data.) I have an option to tick the boxes as its just finished its install.

rdave13 17:41 09 May 14

I would go with Dell's recommendations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…