Slow USB Ports

suburban train 11:25 28 Dec 06

Hi All

Ive got a packard bell PC which is about 5 or 6 year old, its running on Windows XP pro.

Its got two usb ports on the front and 2 on the back.

When I try to attach my USB network adapter or when i connect my external harddrive via usb a message comes up saying I dont have a high speed USB Port and that I should use a USB high speed controller?

Wouldnt the USB ports be high speed anyway as they are attached on to the motherboard and I am not using a USB expansion pack.

Is there any way in which I can make the USB Ports high speed or will I have to buy a high speed controller (Can anyone recommend any good ones)

Stuartli 11:30 28 Dec 06

It would initially appear that you only have USB1.1 ports as XP Pro includes USB2.0 drivers.

Have you checked your Bios to see if USB2.0 can be Enabled?

Plenty of help at:

click here

suburban train 12:04 28 Dec 06

Thanks for your help, Im at work at the mo so I will check the BIOS tonight when I am home.

suburban train 21:29 28 Dec 06

I have tried checking the BIOS but there is no option to check for USB Ports.

I have looked at USBMan i can confirm that I am running USB 1.0 or 1.1 , U have tried to download pathes , rebooted but now success.

suburban train 21:45 28 Dec 06

should say no success

Totally-braindead 23:04 28 Dec 06

Could you give us the model number of your PC so we can check what the specification says.

suburban train 23:27 28 Dec 06

Thanks for the reply how would I do that?

Is it the numbers on the back of the pc or something within windows xp

suburban train 23:29 28 Dec 06

Its:

1 Media 4505

Totally-braindead 23:48 28 Dec 06

I suggest you try this click here the product info I have been able to find is useless. Perhaps if you key in your serial number you can get more info. Failing that perhaps someone else can help.
You could add a USB 2.0 card, they cost around £10-15 if you get stuck and only have USB 1.1.

Technotiger 23:52 28 Dec 06

Hi, I was about to suggest exactly what Totally-braindead has already said - you need a pci 4-port USB2 card, not expensive and very easy to fit.

Totally-braindead 23:58 28 Dec 06

Just had another thought - did you get a manual with it? Perhaps it says in there. Packard Bell didn't even have a manual I could download which I thought was rather unusual, but there you are.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017