Slow USB 2.0

Hammerstein 11:33 10 Feb 07

My PC is approx four years old and has 2 x USB 2.0 ports, these have never operated at full speed ( basing this on the speed that I have witnessed on a friends computer )despite trying to update the driver. Yesterday I connected a PCI card, with 4 x USB 2.0 ports, to the computer and loaded the drivers from the disc supplied, but the speed of these ports seems to be no different to the original computer ports! When connecting devices such as flash drives or I-Pods the transfer rate is nowhere near what it should be! Any ideas?

terryf 11:46 10 Feb 07

I found it useful when I fitted a pci card to go into device manager and un-install ALL usb devices, windows gets into a bit of a tizzy but persist and then re-boot. Win will find and re-install all devices.Before I did this I looked at the card to identify the make and version of the processor chip on the pci card (mine was a NEC) I then loaded the driver disk for the card and looked for the appropriate inf file in the appropriate folder. double click on that inf file to install the drivers then go ahead with the un-install. This worked for me and the usb system was speeded up.

Hammerstein 11:58 10 Feb 07

Could try this, but the problem with speed goes right back to when we first bought the computer. A mate suggested updating the flash in the bios??? Would this also be useful?

jaffa43 12:07 10 Feb 07

To really get the best from usb2 you will need to install SP2,assuming you are running windows xp.I had the same problem as you but after installing SP2 the usb2 ports are now running like a bullet train (14.5 meg in a shade over 3 seconds).
Flashing the BIOS is a risky undertaking,if anything interrupts the flashing then the pc will be rendered useless.As i said all i had to do was install SP2 and the problem was solved.

Hammerstein 12:13 10 Feb 07

We've had SP2 installed for a while now, I thought back then that it might make a difference bit same-same. Thanks anyway.

Stuartli 12:17 10 Feb 07

Are the USB ports and available number of ports Enabled in the Bios?

Plenty of advice at:

click here

Hammerstein 12:21 10 Feb 07

Not sure about the bios bit. They are all working but at slow speed. Will check out the website though. Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:59 10 Feb 07

In device manager check you have an "Enhance driver" installed under the heading USB.

terryf 16:18 10 Feb 07

I would try my suggestion, I built my pc and didn't realise usb was slow until winxp started saying 'this device would run faster in a usb2 skt' which I thought it was. I wouldn't go near flashing the bios, the mobo is a write off if it goes wrong.

Stuartli 17:36 10 Feb 07

Have you updated the motherboard drivers from the manufacturer's website?

Hammerstein 20:59 10 Feb 07

Sorry about the delay in replying. The USB ports are enabled in the bios, I do have an enhance driver in device manager, I also get the " this device could run faster " message, but only if I connect a device to a standard port, I then get a message giving me the location of the faster ports, when I change to one of the USB 2.0 ports the could run faster message dissapears. I went to the motherboards website but wasn't in locating any drivers for that model

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant