Slow startup and slow shut down

micemews 15:44 15 Jan 06

I am using windows windows xp with sp2. I have a 200gb hard disk less than 10% used, Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21gh processor and 1gb of ram.

Until a few days ago the Startup time was about 1 min 50 secs and Shutdown time about 30 to 35 secs and I thought these times were quite good.

However startup now takes at least 3 minutes and shutdown 4 and a half minutes, even after I have closed down all programs that are shown in Task Manager, before pressing Shutdown.

I have run all the diagnostic checks in Norton System Works and defragmented the hard disk but no errors have been found. The only software I have installed recently (I am not sure whether this was before or after my current problem) was some updates and language packs for Nero 6 Reloaded.

Has anyone any ideas as to what may have caused this slowdown and how I can identify and fix the problem. Thanks

wee eddie 16:20 15 Jan 06

If it is left switched on - Using the PC's power to on/off. This may slow things down.

GuZ><0r 16:23 15 Jan 06

Get this click here and turn off all the programs that you do not need at startup.

GuZ><0r 16:24 15 Jan 06

Get the startup inspector, not the monitor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…