Slow Startup problem

graham12 15:43 18 May 03

Could someone please advise me. I seem to have a problem with my startup in which its taking anything up to 5 minutes to load. I have done maintenance wizard, I am using windows XP home edition

Fateful Shadow 15:44 18 May 03

What part of startup do you mean?

Is it when you are in DOS or when the desktop appears?

powerless 15:48 18 May 03

Go to start > Run > COPY and and paste (or type):

MSCONFIG

Now click "OK" or press enter.

Now click on STARTUP.

Remove the ticks from the boxes and this will stop programs from loading at startup. To see what you will be stopping from starting click here if you want a program to load then keep the tick in the box.

Also disable some not needed serivices click here

Also run Disk defragmenter and check disc.

Also try bootvis from click here

graham12 15:48 18 May 03

its when you come to the desk top

hugh-265156 15:50 18 May 03

have a look at what programs you have in the system tray and look in their options for a start with windows option and untick.if now options in the program itself then go to start/run and type msconfig,click on the start up tab and any programs you regognise here untick the box and restart.ignore the warning that you have changed the way windows starts by ticking dont show again.if your unsure of any of the listed program names a good place for reference is click here after this get bootvis and it will speed up the start up even more click here after downloading click trace next boot and driver delay and restart then click optonize and restart make sure that scheduled tasks is enabled in controlpanel/administrativetools/services otherwise it wont work.

Fateful Shadow 15:51 18 May 03

Graham12, follow the advice powerless gave. It's exactly what I had in mind.
Looks like they beat me to it though!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…