Slow startup, fast computer.

SirMetal 21:29 16 May 09

Hello everybody,

I have 2 computers:

HP Laptop:
Intel Core2 Duo (2.00GHz, 2Mb cache, 2 cores)
3Gb RAM
GeForce 9200 256Mb
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
I have several everyday programs on this machine but i disable all programs from startup (Using CCleaner) and i set the number of services running to Minimal (Using Registry Mechanic).
I have Avast home edition running at startup as well as 5 sidebar gadgets.

eSystem Desktop:
Intel Celeron D (3.46GHz, 512Kb cache, 1 core)
1Gb RAM
Radeon HD3450 512Mb
Windows XP Home Edition SP3
I use the same programs that are stated as above and i disable all programs from startup. I set the number of Services running to Recommended (Using Registry Mechanic) and i have no anti virus installed on this machine, as well as no widgets.

My question is, how come my low-end Desktop system loads XP in 20 seconds, whereas my relativly new Laptop loads Vista in about 2 minutes?

Is avast anti virus anything to do with this?

Thanks in advance.

woodchip 23:06 16 May 09

First Vista is slower at Booting than XP it is also more demanding on resources than XP

Avast may be also doing a check of the drive, this you can set to manual. Do it when you want not every time it starts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…