slow startup after installing xp pro

skaria 11:11 06 Feb 05

hi everyone,
i have recently installed windoes xp pro sp2 on my dell dimension 8250, and have just installed the same programs as i had when i had win xp home sp2, but the startup from when it reaches the welcome screen is a lot slower, from 5 seconds to now 15 seconds. i have doen adaware, spyware and virus scans, and also tried bootvis. i have even looked at my startup files. is there any solutiopn to this, or is xp pro generally a LOT slower than home. Thanks in Advance,
Skaria

JonnyTub 11:14 06 Feb 05

List what's in your startup.

click on start, run, type 'msconfig' and hit enter.

Go to the startup tab and make a note of what's listed and checked to to startup.

post them here

skaria 11:45 06 Feb 05

thanks, here they are:
navapw32 - norton internet security
itcm00c - not sure
sndmon - symantec something
gcasserv - microsoft antispyware
thanks again
hope you can help
skaria

SANTOS7 11:48 06 Feb 05

there is a suggestion that you need to defrag your HDD after an SP2 install as it changes your file system which may slow your pc down

JonnyTub 11:50 06 Feb 05

I'd agree with santos7, your startup entries wouldn't explain a long boot time. Unless there are problems with norton

skaria 13:24 06 Feb 05

thanks for that, i have already defraged. i think norton is working fine, as it has not shown any prolems. any ideas??? thanks in advance. skaria

AndySD 13:54 06 Feb 05

did you use bootvis to speed up your start or did you get it to log the start?

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:59 06 Feb 05

Personally I would uninstall Norton.

G

jack 14:02 06 Feb 05

This topic has been broached many times previously
Much thought has gone into the why and wherefores
Even after removing SP2 in my case matters did not improve- though it can be variable.
As far As I am aware no conclusions or remedies have be reached.
The guess is the various protective measures in place are having a good look through the disk before allowing boot up.

SANTOS7 14:18 06 Feb 05

I think you have hit the nail on the screw matey especially if you have AV/SPYWARE tools maybe scanning on startup maybe a fair test is to turn off all related progs and see if it makes any differance.........

skaria 15:18 06 Feb 05

thanks, okay ill try all that and get back to you
thanks
skaria

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…