slow startup

big.tony.D 20:14 04 Jun 04

can anyone help\advise? i am running xp pro on my pc athlon xp 2000 512mb ddr 12o hd 128mb graphics all was running well till recently now when i boot up and log on all goes well untill i try to access progs they take 2\3 mins opening up sometimes i have double clicked a few times then all of a sudden it comes to life and everything opens at once 5x internet ex 4xoutlook etc run virus checks nothing adaware regclean nothing seems to work.this only happens for the first 5 mins of startup any ideas???
thanx

woodchip 20:27 04 Jun 04

How many programs have you got running when your computer boots up including AV. Go Start\Run type MSCONFIG go start tab count the programs with a tick

dagwoood 23:51 04 Jun 04

Further to woodchips posting, if your unsure what services you need/don't need to have running, try this link:

click here

Also, have you defragged recently?

dagwoood.

big.tony.D 17:39 05 Jun 04

task manager shows 22 processes running,
mscomfig has only 3 progs at startup,
diskeeper runs regular.

its not actual startup time, its when im on the desktop double clicking a prog it takes 2\3 mins to start.
after 5 mins all is well progs start instantly
funny thing is this has only just started happeningafew weeks ago it didnt do this

woodchip 20:01 05 Jun 04

Cannot see what OS if XP or 98se put your Windows Disc in the comp stop startup running then go to Staret\Run in Win98se type

SFC and press enter

if XP type SFC /SCANNOW press enter

dagwoood 03:06 06 Jun 04

Came across this, don't know whether it pertains to your problem, but you may want to give it a go.

Correcting System Hang at Startup

"If your system hangs about 2 or 3 minutes at startup, where you can't access the Start button or the Taskbar, it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background. Microsoft put out a patch for this but it didn't work for me. Here's what you do:

Click on Start/Run, type 'msconfig', then click 'OK'.
Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service.
Disable it, apply the changes & reboot".

dagwoood.

big.tony.D 17:20 08 Jun 04

thanx for help hav made a little better its only a few certain progs now slow
ps ms update has no available updates for me
there we go
again thanx

Fruit Bat 19:11 08 Jun 04

click here this sit will tell you eactly which services you need and which to disable to speed up your PC at startup.

Sometimes slow starts are due to programs lookong for updates i.e. AV and spware progs etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced