slow starting

rob_absalom 14:33 04 Mar 03

My pc always seems to take ages to load windows when switching it on. i s there anything I can do to speed this up. I estimate it takes about 5mins before I can start opening anything in windows as the cursor is still an egg timer. Any ideas?

©®@$ђ 14:39 04 Mar 03

which version of windows, and has it always been this slow, what programs/software did you install prior to this happening

maybe you need to disable some startup items from loadin which could be causing this problem

do one at a time, goto start/run and type msconfig

leave explorer and syst try as you need them to run windows

rob_absalom 14:43 04 Mar 03

sorry should have said. I'm using Win 2K Pro. it has just got worse and worse over time. could you explain how i remove things from the startup?

Thanks

Lozzy 14:48 04 Mar 03

In win 2k do the following:

start>>run>>type MSCONFIG then click OK

click Selective Start up and thats it

©®@$ђ 14:48 04 Mar 03

Start menu, accesories, windows explorer (in accesories), and startup. If you want to remove more, you can get a copy of msconfig(xp) rip from click here. Search there. It is the same msconfig as is xp, and you can remove alot off uneeded things that start up when 2000 starts, but aren't in start menu.

©®@$ђ 14:54 04 Mar 03

Hit F8 when it says "Starting Windows 2000". Boot up with bootlogging enabled and you "may" see which driver is hanging when booting.

which service pack are you running?

1. Tweaking Services:
click here

2. Tweaking startup:
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…