Slow Start Up - Windows 7

JimT 14:48 PM 20 Jul 11

I'm trying to sort out a friend's laptop, which is about 1 year old. Start up takes about 10 minutes (Windows logo all that time), and this started a few weeks ago. I ran a scan with Malware and found a few infected files, which I deleted, but that's made no difference. Even after start up the computer runs very slowly.

I've checked event viewer for the boot up log and found that btusb.sys could be a problem. It may have got corrupted. If so, how can I install a replacement file?

Any one got any other ideas as to what the problem could be?

gengiscant 15:09 PM 20 Jul 11

A repair install or a new install might be the way to go.A bit of info on btusb.sys

Or try this very useful for listing startup progs etc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:16 PM 20 Jul 11

Its a bluetooth system file from Microsoft part of the op system.

search type sfc /scannow

windows should scan and replace any missing / corrupt system files (could take sometime to complete the scan)

JimT 18:34 PM 20 Jul 11

Scannow keeps stopping at 46% and then says it can't perform the operation. I'm running it as administrator.

The recovery disk is in a separate partition. Can I access that to repair the bthusb file?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:05 PM 20 Jul 11

TRy updating / reinstall the Bluetooth drivers in Device manager

JimT 17:00 PM 22 Jul 11

Still trying to sort out this laptop. It seems to have serious problems and so I'm going to do a clean reinstall.

However, I need to back up data and files and the laptop is far too slow for all the data to be backed up (it also freezes in the middle of backup).

Therefore, I've taken out the hard drive and put it in an external caddy via USB, but I can't access the Documents and Settings folder (and acouple of others). How do I make these accessible?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:45 PM 22 Jul 11
  JimT 20:16 PM 22 Jul 11

The problem is my laptop's OS is XP Pro and the external drive is from a Windows 7 laptop, so I don't have the tabs shown in the example!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know