Slow on start up!

drdeath 18:24 09 Sep 08

My PC once booted up is very slow and takes ages before I can access Internet Explorer.

Is this something to do with too many background programs?

Any help appreciated.

mfletch 18:38 09 Sep 08

You can download this free program and it will tel you and allow you to stop unwanted programs from starting at startup,

Malwarebytes startuplite

click here

Technotiger 21:19 09 Sep 08

Run www,ccleaner.com in its default settings, and you may notice a difference.

Technotiger 21:20 09 Sep 08

Ooops, I put a comma instead of a .

click here

RobCharles1981 21:37 09 Sep 08

Technotiger has a good choice ccleaner is a good start.

But basically the slow startup means you could have to many programs and system processes loading up at the start.

birdface 21:39 09 Sep 08

Maybe it is running a scan at start up.have you installed any new Security programs lately.Switch off Microsoft automatic updates reboot your computer and see if it works Quicker then.

birdface 21:45 09 Sep 08

I should have also said go into Task manager under processes system idle process should be showing about 97% of the CPU if nothing is running this is normal.If anything else using up a lot of the CPU let us know what.What Firewall and Anti-Virus are you using.

drdeath 22:34 09 Sep 08

Have already run ccleaner.

Will switch off automatic updates on windows.

Am using AVAST anti virus, not sure bout firewall actually.

Thanks for help guys.

woodchip 22:36 09 Sep 08

Different things will slow it down, Loading of Services, Programs loading in the Background and AV doing a scan at boot

drdeath 22:46 09 Sep 08

Thing is when I boot my PC up from start it takes an age before Im finally allowed to use the Internet, once done PC runs fine. To the best of my knowledge, AV doesnt run a scan on start up.

woodchip 22:51 09 Sep 08

Then its Services and background Programs loading. These need cutting back on, only those what are needed should start

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac