Slow start up

carper 20:18 29 Aug 07

My PC has started to boot up very slowly. I have started Task Manager and under running Processes. System Idle processes shows CPU usage as 98%.
Is this excessive and can I remove it or is there something else I can do to speed things up.I have run System mechanic, Adaware,CCleaner, Reg scub without any particular faults.
I am running XPHome SP2. Any help appreciated. Regards Carper

woodchip 20:21 29 Aug 07

You need to thin out the Boot items that start at boot, Ether using MSCONFIG from run Startup page or use a Boot Start Utility Program

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:45 29 Aug 07

Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

Andy1991 21:21 29 Aug 07

when you see the status of 98% at this point, have a look which process in the task manager is using your processor, there is a percentage next to one that shows the percentage of processor they are using.

VoG II 21:23 29 Aug 07

System Idle Processes is just that - the amount that is not being used.

Earthsea 21:55 29 Aug 07

Bootvis is useful click here

Go to Trace>Optimize System and let it do its thing.

Btw, make sure you know what you untick from MSCONFIG before doing so.

As VoG™ says, System Idle Process at 98% means only 2% being used by the system, which is fine. I assume your system doesn't run slowly, only boot up?

birdface 09:43 30 Aug 07

If system idle process is showing 98% that is normal. It means that no other programs are running so I would look elsewhere for your problem.Try this speed test,Just to make sure that you are receiving the correct speed from your ISP.click here may have to many programs running at start up,You may want to go into msconfig to check.Also make sure your air vents at the back of your computer are not clogged up with dust or fluff.Or try running in safe mode and run all your Anti-Virus and Spyware programs.If ad-aware is the best that you have I would try another Spyware program,A Squared or AVG anything like that just to give you that extra bit of cover.

carper 10:11 30 Aug 07

Thanks for all your tips. I will run through them and post back later. Carper

carper 11:39 31 Aug 07

Thanks for your replies. I think I have pinned down the reason to when I increased security on my wireless modem router although I didn't just recognise it at the time. Still at 81 I suppose I can be forgiven

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac