Slow Start-up

Vimal 07:18 19 Nov 05

To All

I have a AMD Athlon 2600+ CPU, 512 mb Ram, CD, DVD Player and DVD RW. XP HE with SP1 & SP2. Norton Systemworks Premier & Internet Security.

I find that on starting my PC the delay from the turning on to getting my Desktop has got longer and longer. It seems to get to the desktop picture then take 5 to 6 mins to setup the shortcuts etc. I run Norton, Spybot and Registry Mechanic regularly but the delay is still there. I have turned off as much of the start-up programs that I do not use via Spybot but this has not helped?

Short of rebuilding the PC! Any ideas?

Thanking you in advice

€dstowe 07:26 19 Nov 05

Have you done a disk cleanup or a disk defragmentation recently?

A run of Crap Cleaner might help as well click here

Vimal 15:57 19 Nov 05

Usally run Norton Cleanup and MS Defrag. But no improvement after running both.

But will try Crap Cleaner anyway.

Thanks

woodchip 16:05 19 Nov 05

AV checking at boot can slow your computer turn it off and do it manual. Also you could try a restore to old date. If all is ok after restore, turn restore off, then back on it will remove all old restore points , and when you restart restore it will create a new one this will free up Hard Drive space. Set restore on C:\drive to use 5 to 8% of drive. All other partitions are better turned off

mbp 16:19 19 Nov 05

I have tried to speed up my Start Up as well. I found that I saved 2 minutes by turning MSAntispyware to manual. But I still found that things were slow and have finally pin-pointed it to my Anti-Virus program that comes on at start up. I will have to try it set to manual and see how that reduces the startup time. The AV program takes up all the resources and takes quite a few minutes to run through.

flimbo 19:13 19 Nov 05

Try Bootvis
click here
It significantly increased boot time for me.
HTH

flimbo 19:15 19 Nov 05

Oops!
I should have wrote "Significantly decreased" boot time!
But you know what I meant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…