slow slow quick quick slow

kattz 19:44 18 Jun 07

Hi hope someone can help with this.After plugging in a usb hard drive (which didn't work)my computer started taking a loooong time to boot(10 minutes).I have two Seagate hard drives,I tested them with Seatools and they are both 100%,The memory was checked and was ok,The cpu was replaced which didn't make any difference.I dissconnected my second drive and hey presto the machine was back to normal.I checked the IDE controllers and they were ok. I then tried another hard drive as my second drive and was back to a very slow boot up.If anyone has any ideas on this problem and how to fix it I'd like to hear from you. Please rack your brains to help me out. Thanks J

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:59 18 Jun 07

Second drive in PIO mode.

Re-enable DMA using the Registry Editor

Run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

It has subkeys like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. Normally 0001 is the primary IDE channel, 0002 the secondary, but other numbers can occur under certain circumstances. Check the DriverDesc value to see which one it is.

Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.

Open Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using DMA mode. If so, congratulations, you've made it (at least until the next time Windows disables DMA).

Alternative Method—Uninstalling the Port
Uninstall the secondary IDE port
To do that, open Device Manager as follows. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, right-click on Secondary IDE Channel, click on Uninstall. Deactivating is not enough.

Reboot to make the changes active and permanent.

After booting Windows will automatically reinstall the IDE channel and the DVD (or CD) drive. This Plug-n-Play process can take a little while, so give it a minute after the boot process finishes.

Diversion 20:59 18 Jun 07

Have you tried uninstalling your second hard drive with device manager, and restart the computer it will find the second drive and re-install it. It might just solve the slow boot up time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…