Slow shutdown

howard63 11:45 19 Feb 06

a friend has an amd 64 3500 1GB ram running xp pro sp2. It is taking for ever to shutdown sometimes still being in shutdown mode in the morning. Can anyhone please point me to the solution[s]. Unfortunately the forum search does not produce any entries for this topic.

Jackcoms 11:51 19 Feb 06

This may cure it. It will take about 8-10 seconds for Windows to close after the fix:

1- Start/Run and type Regedit
2- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT CONTROL SET/CONTROL
3- Click on “Control”
4- Select “Wait to kill service timeout”
5- Right click and select “Modify”
6- Set to a lower value than 2000
7- A setting of 200 will be sufficient

Normal setting is 2000 but can safely be reduced to 200 for a quick shutdown. Sometimes in PCs, including my own, an extra nought is added on to make it 20000. Not sure why this happens but when it does it leads to a very long shutdown time.

howard63 11:54 19 Feb 06

Thanks I will try this.

howard63 12:02 19 Feb 06

out of curiosity I checked my own pc which has never really been a problem shutting down and found it set to 20000 this has now been reset to 200. I am now waiting to hear from friend as to his pc. Thanks again.

bruno 12:16 19 Feb 06

I decided to check mine but could not find"Wait to kill service timeout".

knockin on 12:29 19 Feb 06

I also could not find wait to kill...
I had not clicked on control after navigating step 2 in Jackcoms instructions.

gudgulf 12:39 19 Feb 06

A good source if information about shutdown problems is click here

howard63 18:02 20 Feb 06

unfortunately the problem was not as above and my friend has sent further details. After clicking shutdown it takes a while for anything to happen. Then a window appears saying Ending Programme ctfmon.exe. You have a choice to end the task or let it run (I've tried both options). Then it says 'prgramme not responding' so you cancel that. Then another appears repeating the same scenario for Explorer.exe. Same again - not responding, so get out of that and you get another window same thing this time for 'Connections tray'
All say not responding.

When you get out of these by the 'end now' route you then get; Please Wait - Logging off, Please Wait - Closing networks connections, Please Wait - Saving your settings and then after 3/4/5 mins on each of these it will come 'Windows is Shutting Down. Then a bigger wait & wait. Finally a clear sceen appears and with a further wait it does sometimes shut down within the hour. I have been turning off at the mains at this stage or hit the reboot button & start again.

bruno 20:11 20 Feb 06

Knockin on
Thanks for that.It still took time for the penny to drop but I got there in the end.Mine was set to 20000 as well and I have the Athlon 3500 the same as Howard63. I will see if it makes a difference.I notice mine has a problem if I am on the internet when I try to close it down.If I disconnect the modem and wait a few seconds it closes no problem.

howard63 17:18 13 Mar 06

after switching off the ctfmon in office everything has speeded up so thanks to all.

ashdav 00:05 16 Aug 06

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…