slow shut down

carnoustiejim 11:09 28 Apr 09

hi my pc takes forever to shut down have checked for virus etc still slow can you help thanks kirriejim
o/s win xp home

birdface 11:21 28 Apr 09

Googled.it will give you something to look at until someone can help.

click here=

johndrew 11:40 28 Apr 09

There was a recent post on this subject within the forums. I`m uncertain of the date or source but made a note for my own records; I have copied it below and have used it myself - it works.

"To speed up shutdown of the PC the value of this HKEY can be reduced. Often it is set higher than 2000.

1- Start/Run and type Regedit
2- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT CONTROL SET/CONTROL
3- Click on “Control” [highlight]
4- Select “Wait to kill service timeout” [in right hand pane]
5- Right click and select “Modify”
6- Set to a lower value than 2000
7- A setting of 200 will be sufficient."

Les28 11:52 28 Apr 09

Check the Application tab in Event Viewer to see if you're getting any 1517 or 1524 errors red crosses, that mention Windows saved user <user name> registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

The user profile hive cleanup service may help in that case.

click here

To get to Event Viewer, click Start, then Run, type eventvwr then click OK, or right click My Computer desktop icon, left click Manage, expand the + sign by Event Viewer, then click on Application.

carnoustiejim 14:48 29 Apr 09

thanks to all everything okay kirriejim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…