Slow running windows 95 - any tips?

tiggertwo 13:19 18 Feb 03

Yes I know most have moved on but I still have windows95. That said I am running word97 and outlook express 5.5 plus internet explorer 5 and jetsuite for my fax printer. Those are the main programs. The PC is now nearly 5 years old [Pentium II 32MB RAM 233mhz].
I saw something about typing 'msconfig' at a command prompt and seeing what is running but this returns 'bad command'. How can I see all that is running on the PC?
Also someone suggested cleaning the registry, any tips on how to do this?
Thank you

Don't worry, I'm still running a similar spec PC with Win 95!

'msconfig' is only available with Win 98, but you can get hold of 'Start Up Control Panel' from click here

I think this was also available on a recent PCA cover disc.

Also try 'RegCleaner' from click here

bof:) 13:32 18 Feb 03

Hi tiggertwo

for an automatic regleaner go to click here and download

regcleaner 4.1a

there are also some free registery cleaners in the download section on this site.

I think (its been some time since I've used win95) you can see whats running on your PC by holding down the

ctrl+alt+del buttons all at the same time.

be careful, if you do this twice on most PC's it will restart your pc.

You should get a box up called 'task manager' I think...everything in the box is a program running. Dont close down Explorer or systray.

Mike

bof:) 15:35 18 Feb 03

it may also be worth emptying your Internet Explorer 'temp' files, folder if there are a lot of them. You can look via windows explorer to see how many there are.

Also your windows temp file.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017