slow running windows 2000 pro pc

howard64 14:20 02 Mar 08

I am trying to fix a neighbours win 2k pc but it seems to be running fairly slowly. It is an AMD socket A 1200 MHz. I have trippled the memory to 458MB and cleared out all the nasties [I think] nothing now shows up. Could someone please point me at what to try to improve things - I am not at all familiar with windows 2000 pro. I have used disk cleaner and cccleaner and removed unused progs etc. Thanks in advance.

Devil Fish 15:02 02 Mar 08

try defragmenting the disk and stopping any unesasery start up programs

howard64 15:10 02 Mar 08

thanks Devil Fish defragging now and have already stopped non required start up progs.

brundle 15:12 02 Mar 08

See Fruit Bat's posts here; click here

All applicable to Win 2000

Replace built-in defrag with this click here

Devil Fish 15:20 02 Mar 08

also another thought have you run a disk check to make sure it is functioning properly and there are no errors

howard64 15:38 02 Mar 08

thank you Devil Fish disk check now running

howard64 17:27 03 Mar 08

thanks brundle and all - pc now running reasonably well for an old un. Neighbour very pleased with it. I have advised her that it is not worth spending any money on it and when it dies I will build her a new one. Cheers all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…