Slow running pc...help needed.

Bracador 21:49 30 Apr 07

Hi There,

You've probably heard this problem a million times.....well here it comes again.

My pc is running slow, it takes a good 10 seconds for a page to load on the net and when i exit a page it takes just as long. I've also been experiencing snail speed with most of my programs with XP Home Edition.

What can i do to speed up my pc without loosing information and is there a simple way of backing up my important emails and contacts?

Thanks,

woodchip 21:54 30 Apr 07

Have you done any house cleaning at all? Like Temp File all IE rubbish like History, Cookies and Files. Scandisk and Defrag

Scabby 21:55 30 Apr 07

Check your connection speed matches what you are paying for from your ISP.

click here

Also check your Anti Virus is working and up to date.

STREETWORK 21:57 30 Apr 07

What's the PC Spec'?

1. Run Defragmenter
2. Use the search to find the following, type is as you see it.

a. *.tmp
b. *.old
c. *.log

Delete any files found.

3. Spring clean the inside of the PC case of all dust, especially around fans, with care not to dislodge or bust anything.

4. Depending on your system spec' you may benefit from more memory...

woodchip 22:00 30 Apr 07

Also right click C:\ drive to see how much free space you have

marsman 22:02 30 Apr 07

I suspect your running in PIO mode, go to device manager, click IDE , click primary IDE, look in advanced, make sure it showing Ultra DMA Mode 5 and NOT PIO Mode. Rule this out before you do anything else.

Bracador 22:45 30 Apr 07

Hi again,

Checked the PIO/Ultra DMA options and they seem to be already set to Ultra DMA.

I checked the C: drive and i have used about 14GB with about 65GB still unused.
What happens if i click the Disk Cleanup option?
Do you think using Defrag will help or make more problems?

I'm always worried i will suddenly lose information if i go wild clicking on things i don't know about.

Thanks again,

woodchip 22:51 30 Apr 07

You can use Disc Clean up, but this is first thing to do. Go to Control Panel Double Click on Internet Options icon on the first page when it opens click dlete cookies click yes delete Files click yes Click Clear History the close that should remove a lot. test to see if it works any faster after a reboot

skidzy 22:51 30 Apr 07

As above but also try ccleaner click here

And this little program is good for a system tidy up and repair.

Winaso click here

Reg Opt version

This will repair 10 errors at any one time under the trial version,though you can rescan and repair as much as you like.

GasGasOhlins 08:07 01 May 07

How do I get to the device manager...control panel??...
Thanks

:)

birdface 08:20 01 May 07

Right click my computer, Properties.Hardware,device manager,Thats the way I do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…