slow running pc

ripendigging 18:31 10 Jan 09

my daughters pc is running very slow,checked task manager and explorer.exe is using over 90%.What I can I do about this please.Thankyou.

RobCharles1981 18:44 10 Jan 09

Did you u do forum search before you posted? this thread this gets answered regularly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:31 10 Jan 09
  ripendigging 10:24 11 Jan 09

Yes I did read the forum and I could not find the answer.The pc.is running xp.professional,when I look in Task Manager to check if a program is running it says not responding,when I end the program in Task Manager I get a blue screen and I have to shut down manually.Thankyou

baldydave 10:46 11 Jan 09

Hi,
pc slowing can be caused by many things have you got a good antivirus (up dated)?download and run malwarebytes (antimalware)make sure it is updatedfrom here
click here
When you get the blue screen make a note of what is written on it, as this will give us a clue to your problem.
To stop the pc rebooting when you have a blue screen and give you time to write down the info, follow this
click start button bottom left/click control panel/click system/look and click advanced tab/startup and recovery and click settings button/under SYSTEM FAILURE untick the box automatically restart.
Proberly best to untick restart box before running malwarebytes(antimalware).

ripendigging 11:15 11 Jan 09

There is nothing written on the blue screen,I have to shut the pc.down by holding the start button pushed in.The anti-virus is up to date.?

MarvintheAndroid 11:33 11 Jan 09

OK first of all are you running service pack 3 ? Click on My Computer with the RIGHT mouse button and select properties, this will tell you which service pack you have.

I always take the action recommended by Microsoft before trying other solutions, despite the fact that we all hate them they are often right ;)

Marv

Noof 11:59 11 Jan 09

What have they improved in service pack 3?

Les28 13:16 11 Jan 09

You say you've had a search in the forums, so things like not having enough free space or enough RAM, not having unneeded items running in startup tab in msconfig, or not having a heavily fragmented disk don't apply.

How does the pc perform in safe mode? You didn't mention what anti-virus program you use, can you do a virus scan in safe mode?

baldydave 13:20 11 Jan 09

start pc hold down f8 key to go into safe mode and pick use last known configuration that worked.
If this does not work do same again start holding f8 key pick safe mode and go to event viewer- control panel/adminstrative tools/event viewer/system this should list errors

ripendigging 13:47 11 Jan 09

Thank you all for your advice.At the moment all I can get is the opening desktop,no matter what I click there is no response,I will try going into safe mode as you advise,Thankyou.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced