Slow running PC

WBP 11:41 05 Jun 05

I have a Medion PC bought at Aldi's about 1 year ago. It has a 2.67 GHz pentium 4 running Windows XP home with SP2. I am behind a hardware firewall and have run Norton Antivirus since the machine was new. I keep everything bang up-to-date and do a complete scan every week. No scan has ever revealed a virus. I also regularly run Spybot S & D, Adaware SE and Microsoft Antispyware Beta. These last 3 always find the odd cookies and spyware that are immediately deleted. In other words, I think I am clean.

A couple of weeks ago my computer started running very slowly. It takes much, much longer to load programs the first time. If I load, say, Word, it takes many seconds. I close it down and re-open it and it opens much faster the second time. A colleague suggested that something must be running in the background. I have looked in the Run and Run Once areas of the registry and there is nothing there that shouldn't be. I have watched my CPU usage and it falls to zero or near zero when I'm doing nothing. I ran Norton Utilities performance test and all went well until it came to the disk tests at which the system stopped responding and had to be ended via the Task Manager. I tried running the separate disk tests and again the system hung.

Am I right in assuming that my hard disk is failing? Belarc reports my hard disk (ST3120023A) Smart status as "Healthy".

I'd be very grateful for any opinion/advice.

Joe R 11:50 05 Jun 05

WPB,

download the test from here, and you,ll know if it is your H/D, that is causing the problem.

click here

WBP 12:21 05 Jun 05

Thanks Joe. It appears my hard disk is failing. Must get more backups. Thanks a lot.

WBP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…