Slow running after updating to AVG 8

griffon56 11:33 29 Jun 09

Hi all, Since auto-updating to AVG 8 free it looks as tho' Word docs and emails are typing slowly (letters sent from the wireless keyboard sometimes fail to make it and are missing from the resulting text) and there is busy activity on the HDD when there ought not to be.

Scans with all the usual anti-malware stuff are clear and AVG reports no viruses. Is this a known factor and what is the work-around? Regards.

T I M B O 11:41 29 Jun 09

I have heard the odd whisper that this is the new AVG, it's a bit juicy on the recourses, but thats only what i have heard. So they told me they all switched to Avast and since then all has been sweet ;-))

Avast>>click here

birdface 12:04 29 Jun 09

If you have McAfee site adviser or WOT running switch off the AVG Link scanner.Maybe stop running a scan at start up and set it to a different time.
It is probably the resident shield doing its job it does take up a fair bit of the CPU when running.You could try Tools.Advanced settings.Exceptions.And type in there any program that you want it to ignore.
if an oldish computer you would probably be as well staying with AVG.With Avast it will take you 3 or 4 hours to do a full scan and if it finds anything it will stop the scan until you tell it what to do.So no good running it when you go out as it may stop after 5 minutes.
But like TIMBO and others will tell you it is supposed to be better than AVG.Avira might be a good alternative if you are thinking of changing.

griffon56 18:41 04 Jul 09

I'm almost ashamed to print this. The slow-down was owing to the wireless receiver having fallen off the desk from its position 9 inches away from the mouse and keyboard, to hang down on its USB cable a full 3 feet away. When replaced on the desk the problem went away. Doh!

griffon56 18:51 04 Jul 09

Sorry, I forgot to thank you both. Thanks. The computer IS quite old, 2003 HP Pavilion, 1G RAM, 2.6G CPU, XP, on board everything. The advice on Avast was useful, I didn't know that it worked that way, sort of self-defeating if you can't leave it to itself.

I wasn't thinking of changing, I've never had a virus on a machine in sole use except as a gift from another machine. Once there were 9 and another time 49, all detected by AVG plus A-Squared, Spybot etc., and got rid of without damage. I know in tests AVG isn't the best but it seems to work well enough and has always picked up what it was supposed to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5