slow response to shutdown procedure

Ellen G 09:58 26 May 07

This is a problem I haven't come across. My five year old Toshiba laptop, running windows 2000 and used as a spare, has decided it doesn't like me getting to the final restart/shutdown box. Start to shutdown is fine, but from shutdown to the final box is very slow.

I'm on a network and this problem appeared after that. Rest of computer works well except it occasionally has issues with the local printer (not on network).

I've cleaned, defragged, checked with systemworks, all seems fine. No viruses in sight. It's a very local issue.

Any ideas? Toshiba repaired laptop a few weeks ago when it wouldn't switch on, no obvious HD problems then, and think everything now is software related and I need to reinstall from scratch. As you do when you have a spare five minutes.

Regards,

Ellen

brundle 10:05 26 May 07

Have you looked in the event log for red or yellow flagged items corresponding with the time(s) you shutdown?
start menu/run, type eventvwr.msc

Shorten the time tasks are allowed to `hang`..
Application - Modify Application Timeout

The operating system has a set amount of time that a program must be frozen for before it is timed out. Often this number is set too high. But in some circumstances it is set too low. Depending on if the program is doing a lot of calculations in the background the computer may think that it is timed out. To prevent this increase the value of the timeout in the registry.

Start/Run/Regedit
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. Select HungAppTimeout from the list on the right.
Right on it and select Modify. Change the value to the new timeout value. Reboot your computer.

Back up registry key(s) before changing anything.

(Taken from click here)

birdface 10:11 26 May 07

It could be Microsoft looking for up-dates,Remove automatic up-dates and start downloading them manually.You could check Task Manager to see what program is running at shut off time.

Ellen G 10:12 26 May 07

Hi,

You've misunderstood. It's slow before the shutdown itself. It's getting to the box which allows me to shutdown, or restart, which is slow.

Sorry that wasn't clear.

brundle 10:14 26 May 07

Have you tried a System File Check?
click here

Ellen G 10:15 26 May 07

I've downloaded successfully for a long time without this problem occurring.

There are quite a few processes running at shutdown but I am not expert enough to see an errant one. Nothing jumps out.

Whatever is causing the problem, it's before the computer starts the actual shutdown procedure. The same box allows me to restart.

Ellen G 10:19 26 May 07

I have windows 2000 so SFC is not easy to get to.

brundle 10:25 26 May 07

Start menu/run type
sfc /scannow

note the space between c and /

Ellen G 10:33 26 May 07

Ran sfc and it verfied but gave me no feedback so am none the wiser.

Toshiba gives us recovery discs, but I got a copy of a windows CD if I ever wanted to reinstall just the OS and not the Toshiba add-ons. Computer doesn't like copies of os which are not the same as the installed versions.

thanks for taking the time to help though.

Ellen

birdface 10:56 26 May 07

Its slow before the shutdown, Go into Task Manager,Processes,And under Psu What programs are hogging it,System Idle Process should take up the most,But that is normal,What other programs are taking up 30% or more.

brundle 10:59 26 May 07

OK, how about creating a shortcut to shutdown - save this as a batch file and make shortcut to it - does the computer still take an age?

%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 10

that will shutdown with a delay of 10 seconds, it will force apps to close so save anything you are working on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…