Slow programs when printer is operating

blighty 07:13 19 Feb 03

I have an oldish Epson Stylus Color 500 printer which I run using Win98 and WinXP Pro.

When the printer is printing, some of my programs are painfully slow, especially Word97.

Does anyone know why this could be?

Thanks in advance.
Blighty

Pesala 07:21 19 Feb 03

Start Menu, Settings, Printers, Epson Stylus 500, Properties, Details, Spool Settings. Check "spool print jobs so that printing finishes faster"

blighty 07:29 19 Feb 03

Hi. Thanks for quick reply.
This option is already selected, so the problem must lie elsewhere.

vaughan007 08:19 19 Feb 03

From my experience printers often cause PC's to operate painfully slow. This leads me to believe there is nothing you can do about it. Except get a faster printer perhaps? As long as the PC resumes back to normal speed after printing I dont think there is anything wrong. This is probably not the answer you wanted.

Andsome 08:41 19 Feb 03

On my old computer when using my old Epson 460, everything used to slow down. Now with 512 DDR and Pentium4 2.4GHz erything is like lightning. I know nothing about the inside workings of computers, but could CPU speeds and memory have something to do with this problem?

blighty 09:45 19 Feb 03

Thanks for all replies.

The XP computer has 2.1 Pentium and over 2000 MB of RAM, so CPU/memory isn't the problem.
Maybe it is just the age of the printer and nothing can be done after all.

Anyone else got any ideas ?

Pesala 10:56 19 Feb 03

Buy a brand new laser printer and all your waiting will be over. The Epson EPL6100 does 16 ppm and costs about £160. It has both serial and parallel ports. click here

blighty 11:35 19 Feb 03

I had hoped to avoid having to buy a new printer as the Epson Stylus Color 500, although old, is superbly economical on ink.

However, the Epson you mentioned sounds good, especially on speed. What are your experiences of it? Does it have a "toner save" option. Do you know of any independent reviews ?

Cheers
Blighty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…