slow printing

ricky J 12:01 27 Jul 04

hello everyone!
Recently changed from Me to XP pro and printing photographs has become extremely slow. I am using an epson 890 printer and downloaded the the latest driver for it with no improvement, any ideas? Many thanks in advance

jonnytub 12:05 27 Jul 04

have you got it set to print at high resolution ?

jonnytub 12:06 27 Jul 04

have you got it set at a high printing resolution?

jonnytub 12:07 27 Jul 04

oops!

ricky J 12:09 27 Jul 04

yes i have. However, when printing using Me it was much faster on the same setting

Danny 11:52 20 Oct 04

I have the same problem, having changed from Me to XP. Printing times increased from 3 to 4 mins up to about 15 mins with the same settings. Has anyone found a solution?

stlucia 12:21 20 Oct 04

I changed from 98SE to XP, and my Epson 870 prints at the same speed. I didn't have to load any new Epson drivers, so I presume it's using the default XP ones.

Danny 13:49 20 Oct 04

I have tried all the drivers, old, new and XP but there is no change. My files are photos from Photoshop CS and are between 10MB and 30MB in size. The printer connection is through te LPT1 port. The USB port did not work with Millenium. I have tried to use the USB connection wiyh XP but the conection would not load properly so I abandoned this option. There is no help at Epson and the XP help does not make any suggetion.

JonnyTub 13:52 20 Oct 04

Danny, i think your slow printing is down to the file sizes, they're HUGE for photo's.

JonnyTub 13:54 20 Oct 04

Also start a fresh thread, i don't even remember posting to this one back in july?

Danny 12:39 27 Oct 04

I have found the solution to my problem. There is an article at microsoft support that states that the use of the LPT port for printing in XP and 2000 causes the CPU usage to become 100%. The reference is article 318273 dated November 26th 2003.
I re-loaded the Epson current driver and re-installed the printer using this version, not the XP driver, and the printing speed has returned to the original 3 to 4 mins with the same printer settings.
Incidentally I never had any apparent problem when printing small files or short letters from Word or Excel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…