Slow PCA loading-others Ok ?

Derek 08:02 23 Sep 03

XP Pro/Sys Works Pro'03/Z'alarm/Sys Mech/B'band/520DDR/Asus A7N8X deluxe/AMD.

I use Pda as my default page but I've had to change it because it loads so slow. All favourites load quickly as does anything I've 'Googled' for.

I select or type in click here etc and it takes about 2 minutes to get into my logon screen, then a further 2 minutes to load to the next screen.And so on. Would you believe it that it has taken about 8 minutes just to get to this page to write to you. I say again, it just appears to be PDA....help please.

Mango Grummit 12:50 23 Sep 03

Your link gets us nowhere, this one does click here but is it what you're after? If not what is the precise addy?

Djohn 12:54 23 Sep 03

Do you mean PCA?

Derek 18:31 23 Sep 03

Yes, I meant PCA (this site). That link was just an entry example which refers to PC Advisor.

Still doing it all very slowly, it's taken some seven minutes to get from your joint emails to this site.
All my other sites appear with great haste.

Perhaps a clue, my broadband modem activity LED is constantly blinking at about 180 cps.(NT)

Again sorry for the mistookies and thank you for your continued interest.

Djohn 18:45 23 Sep 03

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you should try to help speed up the access to PCA. I'm on broadband also, and the pages load instantly, [Though not as quick as any other site]. I always put this down to the vast amount of users to this site.

Pages load in about 1 or 2 seconds and if any PCA page takes longer than 3 seconds to load, then I would class that as slow. [To me] Regards. j.

woodchip 19:09 23 Sep 03

You cannot change it, it's all the ADD servers that PCA uses, Just watch the bottom of your browser for what goes on just above the task bar

roy 19:27 23 Sep 03

Derek

I think that Zone Alarm may be a contributary factor here. As a quick experiment try switching it of (only for a minute or two, of course) and see if you can get this site alright.

If it improves then switch ZA back on and go to Privacy, Main.
Switch off Cookie Control and Ad Blocking and try this site like that. If you still experience trouble try changing your cookie settings in Internet Options (Internet Explorer)

Hope some of this works.

Roy

roy 18:18 24 Sep 03

Is this problem resolved and if so, how?

Derek 08:56 25 Sep 03

Thanks again for all your support but I'm still having trouble. I've now done a few tests.
Firstly I've tried about twenty other web sites both in searches and in my favourites and all of them fire up with the speed of light. My problem resides only with the PC Advisor website. Not only does it move so slowly on first click - about 3 minutes, but subsequent clicks into the programmes take just as long.

I'm now writing this to you from my second desktop PC with the Broadband transfered and when I click on the PCA site it comes up straight away as do all further entries into the site. In other words, this PC works perfectly.

This one is Windows ME but in all other respects, the two PC's all have the same software.

My thanks again for your continued support. DM.

roy 18:37 25 Sep 03

I am really sorry that you are still having problems as yours sounded so similar to mine (seeclick here)
I too could get any other website with no trouble.

I, like you have a second pc running Win ME and have no trouble. This machine is XP Home. I really don't know that that is a factor though, except, though, that I don't think the ME pc has the latest IE on it. By the way, I do have my machines networked which is very easy to do and doesn't cost the earth so both share my BB internet and there is no noticeable loss of bandwidth if both are browsing at the same time.

Anyway, good luck with it,

Roy

Derek 19:26 25 Sep 03

Thanks Roy, I have taken a great interest in all that you've said and suggested. Your setup appears to be very similar to mine.
However, today I have dropped a line to HQ IDG and asked them for their ideas, this was before I read your most enlightened article.

Tomorrow morning at seven AM, I commence a touring holiday of the south for nine days and all PC's will be closed down.

Needless to say, on my return I will look forward to further comments (if any) and start off by uninstalling ZA completely on the offending XP machine.

This afternoon I ran both setup screens of ZA side by side and configured the XP PC to match the Win ME...still no improvement !!

Write again soon Kindest regards DM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…