slow pc - dying?

scott1358 23:25 21 Dec 05

i've recently replaced my pc witha laptop, the pc itself is actually 5 years old, though it was updated to xp pro in 2002 and i have the cd

in the last 6 months or so it has got more and more sluggish, though the hard drive is full and it hasnt been reformatted since 2002. my housemate wanted a pc just to wordprocess and use internet and i said she could have this instead of throwing it away - if i reformat it and reinstall windows will it go back to normal - even though it will be slow by todays standards, or is it a hardwar age problem that is causing it. indeed, could it even cope with a reinstallation?

Skills 23:35 21 Dec 05

Theres a good chance that with a wipe and reinstallation it will be as it was. Worth doing in my book, make sure you have all the disks for the computer drivers and the like and away you go.

Heres a guide to reinstalling XP click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:39 21 Dec 05

if i reformat it and reinstall windows will it go back to normal

Yes -

hard drive is probably clogged with malware, temp files and fragmentation.
windows registry will be bloated with old settings etc.

Age usually causes noises due to old fan bearings or clattering drives just before a complete faiure, or sudden failure as PSUs die.

david_uk 01:48 22 Dec 05

sounds sad.

MattW 08:08 22 Dec 05

Your description of your PC sounds like one of me.

Re-format the PC and re-install windows.

scott1358 09:28 22 Dec 05

that's a good point actually... a cd rewriter and network card were installed at the time of updating to xp pro - but i dont know if i have the drivers for these? i might have for the drive, but certainly not for the card.

Diemmess 10:00 22 Dec 05

I presume the re-vamped PC won't be networked anyway so you won't need that software?
At very worst you might have to buy software for the CDRW.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:57 22 Dec 05

You will not need drivers for CDRW XP uses standard drivers justwriting software

CD Burning :-
Burn4 free click here
Deepburner click here
CDBurnerXP click here
Burners click here
Rippers click here

gomezchar 07:25 06 Jan 06

i suggest you try to scan your computer. it maybe infected with malicious software like spywares.

i found this site, download the free software and run it. click here

good luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…