Slow PC

eljanno 16:25 04 Feb 03

Hi
My friend bought a pc for her son at christmas, I tried to load Norton 2003 on it for her but it is painfully slow, the spec is as follows,
Packard bell, 256 ram,(showing 194 when I looked at the system details) 1.99 processor not sure of the make, and it has a dvd which is the reader writter ect. Maybe this is not the best system but there is noway it should be a slow as this is. There does not appear to be a lot of programs running in the task bar.
Could someone give me some idea's of how to speed it up for her, before as a last resort she takes it back to the shop.
Thanks a mill
Jan

Lozzy 16:35 04 Feb 03

Well there are many ways but before I go into this please can you answer the following::

1. Is slow to boot?

2. is slow to connect to the net?

3. Is slow to download from the net?

4. Is slow to add programs via the CDrom?

5. Does the PC have Win XP Home edition?

6. Jave you downloaded any patches or updates?

Djohn 16:38 04 Feb 03

Try using the Ctrl/Alt/delet, keys at the same time, and a window will appear and inform you how many programs are running, It may not be necessary for all of these to be active and closing some down will help, also a defrag of the Hard Drive.

If you need help or guidance on this please post back. J.

eljanno 17:23 04 Feb 03

Hi lozzy
The PC is my friends so I can only answer a few of your questions, it it slow to add programs from the cd rom, and it has xp home,it os a little slow to boot, and it has not got much running in the back ground
Hope that help's
Jan

eljanno 17:23 04 Feb 03

Hi lozzy
The PC is my friends so I can only answer a few of your questions, it it slow to add programs from the cd rom, and it has xp home,it os a little slow to boot, and it has not got much running in the back ground
Hope that help's
Jan

Djohn 17:46 04 Feb 03

Could be AMD processor, and the difference in the amount of RAM suggest on-board graphic card that is using 62 meg of ram.

194 meg of RAM is very low for win.XP and will run much better on 512 or more.

Norton will also slow down the system, unless set up correctly, especially with the amount of RAM you have at the moment.

Lozzy 17:53 04 Feb 03

Ok sounds like you need to do the following.

1. go into windows Update and download all

2. click here and download this free disk clean up utility then run it

3. Click on Start All Programs Accessories System Tools then Disk Cleanup and run that

4. Go into Control panel Phone/Modem properties then modem again and make sure it is set to 115000

5. Go into your temp folder and clean out all the garbage thats stored in there.

6. Now after all thats done as Djohn says run De-frag then Scan disk.

That should do the trick.. By the way has your Friend downloaded SP1 for windows XP?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…