Slow PC

recap 12:45 11 Jan 06

Problems with a Fujitsu Siemens Scenic P, running Windows XP SP1, P4 2800Mhz, 256MB RAM.

I am doing work on this PC to up date SP1 to SP2. I have been installing SP2, from Disc as the Internet download was taking far too long (over 1½ hours). Now the disc has been running for around the same time.

I have recommended that the RAM be increased, but the organisation is a little strapped for cash as they are funded.

Running a diagnostic, the CPU usage can reach 100% for more time than is healthy for the system. Just moving the mouse around the screen increases the CPU to 25% or more. There are no applications running when I do this. The fans are working ok, if I take the side casing off this makes no difference to the cooling system.

Any suggestions (other than the RAM issue) as to what may be causing this?

007al 12:50 11 Jan 06

Try antivirus and anti spyware scans in safe mode.

recap 12:51 11 Jan 06

Thanks 007al, should have mentioned that this has already been done.

recap 12:54 11 Jan 06

Re-reading my post, I should also mention that this PC is networked to a Windows 2003 server, of which there are 14 other PC running and this is the only one that is giving problems.

wobblymike 12:56 11 Jan 06

Following 007al suggestion above - clean out all your temporary files, cookies etc either manually or using one of the many 3rd party tools available to do it.

Also not the greatest idea to install SP2 on its own (it often does work but often also causes conflicts)

If you have your XP disc as well as your SP2 disc why don't you slipstream them together and burn the whole thing to a fresh CD and reinstall your OS with SP2 fully integrated within it; after backing up all the stuff you need to keep before of course. If you are interested post back and I can talk you through the process.

recap 13:03 11 Jan 06

Thanks wobblymike.

Just doing the normal updates will not load, system freezes so I have to reboot.

This may need to be formatted, of which I do have a seperate disc of XP with SP2 on it, but it is not the organisations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5