slow pc

mort 17:59 26 Sep 04

what can i do to make pc go faster ie it's got really slow recently i have 2ghz 512 ddr ram using only 12 gig of 80 gig on hard drive.programs seem to take ages to load.any ideas.
Mort

barnacarry 18:17 26 Sep 04

Try this tip; it works for me -
Open My Computer, then right-click on your hard drive and choose Properties.
Uncheck 'Allow indexing Service'

dagwoood 20:37 26 Sep 04

Further to barnacarry, disable the indexing service in services.

You don't say what o/s you have, but on XP go to Administrative tools, services then disable the indexing service.

Also, have you defragged lately?

dagwoood.

hugh-265156 20:47 26 Sep 04

your specs are ok so most tasks should run very well on this system.

uninstall any seldom used software and then run disc cleanup and run defrag as suggested above. ps. this click here does a better job than windows own cleanup tool (run it on standard settings)

update and run your antivirus. also run a check for spyware with adaware and spybot (update these too before scanning) click here click here

visit windows update and install everything listed as critical or security related click here

and if you are a gamer you may find new games run better using updated drivers for your motherboard, graphics card and sound card, get these from the manufacturers websites.

hugh-265156 20:54 26 Sep 04

ps. you can also stop a lot of uneeded programs from automatically starting with windows to speed up the boot time and save some ram using 'start/run' type 'msconfig' click the 'start up' tab and untick everything listed apart from your AV and firewall and restart.

set uneeded services to manual or disabled (if your sure you dont need it) to free up some more memory. click 'control panel/administrative tools/services' and follow the guide click here 'safe settings' work well for me with no problems. be careful here and do one or two at a time and restart to check everything still works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…