slow ntl broadband

hatchey 23:10 07 Jun 04

ihave ntl broadband 512mb,,on my pc, with xp and a pent 4 with a 2.8 processor it downloads very slow.but with the same ntl box on my sons pc with windows 2000 and a pent 4 2.gb pross.it downloads about 5 times faster .he thinks its my settings but both were done auto on setup.

hatchey 23:28 07 Jun 04

?

Tim1964 23:34 07 Jun 04

Have you run a 'spyware' detecting prog to check for malware? For e.g. Adaware or 'Search and Destroy'. Both available on the downloads section of this site. What antivirus and firewall progs are you using? You could also try changing the server you are using to a proxy server to see if this speeds up the connection. I would also suggest running a 'speed test' from click here (top right of page. If you post your results it might offer some clues.

Good luck.

hatchey 23:45 07 Jun 04

speed test says 558kbps downstream
upstream 117kbps.which sounds about write so wy is my sons pc so fast.comperd to mine

hatchey 23:48 07 Jun 04

an example is a file he was downloading tonight on my pc was going to take 1 day and 12 hours to get down .he moved box on to his pc it took 3 hours to get same file. my head is pickled...

hugh-265156 01:07 08 Jun 04

i was going to say it depends on where you are downloading from and what connection the server is using but if its the same file then.

i would run a check for adware and spyware as Tim1964 suggested with both adaware click here and spybot click here

download both and update them and run a scan with each one in turn and delete anything they find.

what type of connection do you have? ie/ set top box or cable modem and are you using usb or ethernet? click here

if using a cable modem click here and use 'root' as both password and user name.may help give you some info.note it all down and give ntl a call if all else fails maybe.

Faser 03:58 08 Jun 04

Are you using USB for your connection? This was always a bad idea as it gives variable speeds on any PC as it depends on what else is running at the time.

If so follow this link as NTL now recommend an Ethernet connection. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…