Slow New PC

I have a new PC with an AMD 64 Athlon x2 4200+ CPU. It seems as slow as my old PC ie opening apps etc. Someone said that it may need an odd tweak in the Bios. What are these and how do I do it.Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 17:40 07 Jun 06

Go to pcpitstop

click here and run their tests as a first off...

How much RAM, by the way?

Forums - Optimize my computer - PC Advisor
click here too

It has 1Gb of ram, XP Pro and SP2. I expected that I would hardly see the hourglass again but it seems slower than my old 1.7GHz PC!! It has a fresh windows install as i only got the PC yesterday but it just seems soooo slowwwwww!!

Jimmy14 17:54 07 Jun 06

Have you got anti-virus/spyware software installed and run checks on it?

I am running Norton Systemworks which is fully updated. I can't understand why I need to run all the registry tweaks, temp file cleaners etc if there is nothing on the computer.

?. 18:13 07 Jun 06

It could be Norton, I once at it and it made my computer dreadfull to say the least.

You could try un-installing Norton and see if it speeds up after that

Totally-braindead 18:35 07 Jun 06

Might be a silly question here but are you sure it is running at the correct speed? The AMD 64 Athlon x2 4200+ CPU should be running at 2200mhz. I am wondering if you have the frequency set correctly.

yea thats what its running at but its so slow.

De Marcus™ 19:08 07 Jun 06

Check device manager for any exclamation marks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…