slow new laptop

YAMA 13:57 01 Feb 10

Hi all well at last whent and got my self a new laptop.Vaio VNG-NW20EF/S,win7 home, all seems ok except for the start up and shut down, just seems to take ages, and idea on speeding up ,A&B, especialy the shut down that realy takes like a day and half,yet my desk vospro pc takes no time at all and it has loads on it, were as the L/T just has what it came with loaded, so please can you help. also no as yet found my way around the win 7, i have xp pro on the desk pc.

T I M B O 14:48 01 Feb 10

did this lappy come pre installed with an antivirus ,,, if so did u install another ??

YAMA 20:59 08 Feb 10

sorry been away can you explane please timbo thanks yama

Clapton is God 11:36 09 Feb 10

"can you explane (sic) please"

How many anti-virus programs are you running on this laptop?

YAMA 12:09 18 Feb 10

sorry about delay been away again (hospita) removed the antivirus installed new one. still slow after reboot,it just takes for ever to start, and shut dow it comes up with windows thing is this what win uses to shut down win7, thanks yamma. oh to recap what i said at the first,

Hi all well at last whent and got my self a new laptop.Vaio VNG-NW20EF/S,win7 home, all seems ok except for the start up and shut down, just seems to take ages, and idea on speeding up ,A&B, especialy the shut down that realy takes like a day and half,yet my desk vospro pc takes no time at all and it has loads on it, were as the L/T just has what it came with loaded, so please can you help. also no as yet found my way around the win 7, i have xp pro on the desk pc

rawprawn 12:15 18 Feb 10

You need to look at what programs are starting in msconfig, and untick any that are not needed at start up.
New pre loaded computers often come with a load of junk starting which is not needed.

rawprawn 16:19 18 Feb 10

"removed the antivirus installed new one"

If it was Norton you may well have left some in the registry, and you need their Removal Tool to clear it out.
If it was NOrton, which one was it?

YAMA 17:32 06 Apr 10

just got back from holidays, tried my lap top still slow, checked all advice all i have on it is win 7 win office, looking at the speed of this desktop, like haveing a jag to a mini,laptop is so slow opening and shutting down well go round the block twice and its still closing, i got to thinking do you think its th2 win7, on my desktop i have xp pro,???thanks yama

tullie 17:47 06 Apr 10

Did you run msconfig and untick any unnecessary items,the only essentials are your anti virus and firewall.How much RAM have you installed?

robin_x 17:49 06 Apr 10

"New" laptop may have been in the supply chain for weeks or months.

Could be installing Windows Updates on shutdown.

Also, is it set to clear Page File on shutdown?
That takes ages (2+ mins) when set.

Try Ultimate Windows Tweaker (nice little util)

You can switch On Verbose Mode, which tells you what is happening and check the Page File clear is not set. And other many useful things too.

click here

Try RevoUninstaller to clear out unwanted Apps.
If you have already installed them via Control Panel/Uninstall a Program. Re-install them, then run Revo.

Also try cCleaner.

All suggestions are free.

See click here

Type what you want in the search box

eg Revo
cCleaner
or any util you fancy.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:18 06 Apr 10

Make sure your antivirus is not set to do a scan on start up and /or shut down

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos