Slow network

Hetti 13:30 29 Apr 05

I just networked two Pc's, first day all was fine, second day (yesterday)one of the PC's was very slow, the signal strenth is very low, speed is 11g, this is the PC I just added.

The PC I had first is OK the speed is 54Mbps signal strenth excellant.

The PC that is slow is the newest addition, the PC it replaced was working fine, I had an engineer do the network the first time, but I did it myself this time, I did not take the network card out of the PC I was replacing as the new one had one build into it,that is the difference between this network and the old one.

Is there anything I can do to improve it?

mgmcc 16:03 29 Apr 05

I think your slow speed is directly related to the low signal strength. Have you located the new PC differently so that the signal is affected, is some metal object blocking the signal, or is the aerial perhaps not fitted properly?

Hetti 16:53 29 Apr 05

mgmcc

Thanks but I have PC's in the same place as they have always been, and no metal objects to block, the ariel in my first PC is as it has always been, but I cannot see any visable ariel on second PC it was already equipped with wireless network capabilities.
I'm a bit reluctant to call engineer, but if this is not able to be sorted I may have to, as it defeats the object two fast PC's but slow network.

mgmcc 21:16 29 Apr 05

<<<but I cannot see any visable ariel on second PC it was already equipped with wireless network capabilities.>>>

Is the Wireless Adapter an internal PCI card and, if so, is there a socket at the rear where an aerial should have been inserted. Its absence could explain the poor signal strength.

On the other hand, the Wireless Adapter could be completely internal - what does the PC's manual say about wireless networking?

Hetti 08:59 30 Apr 05

mgmcc

I tried moving my router to a different location, and lo and behold I got good signal on both PC's, I know it is an obvious thing but to a newbie like me I did not think of it, altough I feel silly telling you this (lol) you never know it MIGHT help someone else!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…