Slow to logon after installing network card

Martin86 20:54 01 Apr 04

Since I formatted the hard disk and reinstalled Windows XP Home, everything was fine until I opened Device Manager to correct the yellow '?' symbol by the network adapter by installing the latest drivers. Now when I click my user name to log on, the desktop appears, but it takes about a minute longer than previously to load all the system tray icons and partially stops responding too (some programs like Internet Explorer will not launch while it's in this state). The logon sound is also cut short. I can workaround this problem by disbling the Workstation service in msconfig, or by uninstalling the network adapter. The other computer connected to the 4-port Netgear 10mbit hub is not switched on. I have the latest network adapter drivers and BIOS. Before formatting the hard disk (it's the first time I've reformatted this PC since buying it) I had no problems like this. What should I be trying next?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…