Slow loading at PC log-on, takes ages, any ideas?

Gaz 25 12:47 29 May 04

PC is a 3000+, 1Gb DDR, 80Gb Seagate, GeForce FX 5800, 550watt PSU.

Now its been running fine, and still does. But during boot-up when I get to the log-in screen and login, from there it takes a while for the Antivirus and Firewall to appear. I mean its really slow... and then when they have all loaded my floppy drive flickers.

Safe mode has the same problem! :-(

Any ideas?

Gaz 25 12:49 29 May 04

Its running XP and I have defragged, and run virus/spyware scans, etc. Cleaned up files... the whatnot.

AndySD 13:06 29 May 04

click here bootvis start it click trace then next boot and driver delays....reboot the pc and Then in Bootvis go file then open and choose the log file there.... it should give you some idea.

Gaz 25 13:17 29 May 04

Actually, just found out what it is...

XP was set to automatically assign IP address on the LAN adapter, since no other PCs are on, it got stuck, so had to decide, thus slowing start-up and loading of desktop items.

Sorted now, has IP 192.168.0.6

Ill run BootVis anyway!

Regards,
Gareth

flying grouse 13:20 29 May 04

If you don't mind opening your PC, try disconnecting floppy drive cable and reboot

......... :-)

flying grouse 13:21 29 May 04

oh! to late, never mind...............

TomJerry 14:05 29 May 04

maybe some drive software not working properly, chekc no yellow "!"

TomJerry 14:05 29 May 04

maybe some drive software not working properly, chekc no yellow "!"

Gaz 25 14:08 29 May 04

No yellow "!"

And the Floppy drive does still light up on boot up, but it isnt slow now, it does it quick. It could be the antivirus checking for a floppy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…