slow loading

hayl 07:50 02 Feb 07

Hi, I would call myself a complete novice compared to most of the members on here, however I do know the basics of a pc. I bought a HP Pavilion zx6000 about 12 months ago and realise that it's on the lower end of laptops.
When starting up it takes pretty long before I can do anything as it must be loading things. It sometimes does this during use after it has loaded up.
I have a 60gb hd and have used around 40gb. I would like to know what I can do to speed up the laptop. I would also like to know what causes this problem so I can check for in the future.
Thanks.

wee eddie 08:22 02 Feb 07

Most likely: Windows XP.

What AV, Spy-ware and Firewall? I'm sure they are all up to date.

Have you just got M$ Office on there, or are you a hoarder of different programs and Trials?

hayl 08:31 02 Feb 07

Hi wee eddie.
I will say that I have quite a few programs installed. The majority of them are e-books. Is there a way I can save these to a disc and delete them from the laptop. Would this speed up things?

I have just gone with TalkTalk and I have got there Anti virus software.
Thanks.

andrew-196854 08:59 02 Feb 07

try using msconfig read this web page on how to do it click here

hayl 12:24 02 Feb 07

Hi dibblydufus, I have just done what you suggested, but there are none of the programs that it tells you not to touch there.
There are also a lot of things that I do not know what they are. Is there a way I could list them and you could tell me what to keep and what to not keep.
Cheers.

andrew-196854 14:04 02 Feb 07

type in msconfig again,then click services, next to start up click the box hide all microsoft services ,then that should leave you with a list of programs that you have on you pc , normally you leave antivirus programs and firewalls to start if in doubt you could always make a restore point first read here on how to do soclick here failing that post back what you see in there

ACOLYTE 14:08 02 Feb 07

This is a nice little app click here

it runs in task manager and has online help click the "?" next to an item in task manager and it describes it online.

oldbeefer2 14:32 02 Feb 07

Thanks ACOLYTE, looks useful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced