Slow Laptop - Unable to Restore & virus checked?

Will 13:24 11 May 07

I have a HP Lpatop (HP Pavilion) AMD 64 Moblie, 1.79 gig, 512 Ram XP Home SP2.
It has started to run slow. I have recently ripped a lot of my CD music to the computer and it has been online for the first time in months (I work on Ships and don't have access). I have virus checked with Norton with no result. I chedcked on previous posts for the same problem and have tried to restore the system to before I left ship but it wouldn't do it I then tried to restore to a more reent point with the same result. Does anybody have any idea what might be happening or what I can investigate further. Also how do I control what is activated at start up? Messenger comes on to my screen at start up and before I had problems it didn't do this.

birdface 13:32 11 May 07

Messenger,Tools Options,General.Untick Automatically run messenger at start up Apply ok.

birdface 13:39 11 May 07

Start Run,type msconfig ok,Start up programs top left,You can untick most but keep your anti-virus and firewall,Apply ok, reboot,When rebooted a box will appear tick the little square and press ok.

birdface 13:40 11 May 07

I should have said top right for start up programs.

birdface 13:43 11 May 07

You don't mention if you have any Anti-Spyware programs.If not download A Squared update it and do a full scan.

matofthemint 13:52 11 May 07

If you can't restore, you might try SysRestoreCalendar at click here

Will 13:57 11 May 07

Thanks so far guys, got rid of the messenger problem.
Any ideas why it won't go to the restore point?

Will 14:05 11 May 07

Each action seems to be getting slower. It won't seem to multi task and can only deal with one program at a time. It needs tweaking any good progs out there for this. Years ago I had the same sort of symptoms with a machine I was running WD98 on and it would say "Stack Overflow", it turned out the motherboard was knackered!

setecio 14:24 11 May 07

Could it just be downloading alot of windows updates and other updates?

Press ctrl-alt-del once to bring up task manager - processes - click on cpu column header once and twice, are there any processes taking up alot of CPU usage. If svchost is taking up alot try disabling windows updates.

dukeboxhero 14:31 11 May 07

have to you tried system restore in safe mode? tap f8 when starting comp then try restore

Will 14:32 11 May 07

thanks for your efforts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now