Slow laptop

JF25 20:04 02 Apr 10

My backup computer is an Acer 5720 laptop. From the day I got it it has always been slow to get going. I thought this may be because I use it only occasionaly,for 2 or 3 hours a week. After I got it I loaded Microsoft Office Home and Student edition which took a very long time to install and as with all other programmes takes minutes to appear and then invariably for the first hour or so comes up with 'not responding' before appearing in a normal mode.
I have very little experience with laptops so perhaps someone will tell me if this is normal behaviour.
I have run tests on the machine using Norton 360
but other than a suggestion that it was low on RAM memory there appears to be nothing wrong.
It is running Windows Vista home and is fully updated. Norton 360 detects no proplems. It is under extendad warranty till august so I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you

amonra 20:12 02 Apr 10

I think that model has 2GB memory and using Vista really needs a bit more.
I've got an older model which came with Vista pre installed and it was a dog ! When Win7 became available I dumped Vista and installed the new system and immediately noticed a VAST increase in speed and useability. So I can only offer my condolences and suggest changing to XP or Win7.

rdave13 20:17 02 Apr 10

How much ram? 2mb should be ok. Have a look in task manager, under the processes tab, click the 'show processes from all users' at bottom, it will then list system idle. See how much cpu process you have left when on idle. Then check what's using the cpu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…