Slow Laptop

matt6808 11:12 07 Jan 09

Hi, I tried to uninstall my McAfee and install Kaspersky i was successful after a few goes. I had trouble with uninstalling the McAfee suite, but now my laptop is going at a snails pace. I'm paranoid that when i had my McAfee off some bittorrents messed up my computer. I seen something about factory restore now i can't find it. I've got a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista, Pentium Dual Core.

Diodorus Siculus 12:22 07 Jan 09

When you first got the machine, did you make the restore disks that it prompts you to do?

Failing their presence, can you try a system restore to one of the earliest dates?

Cheers, Dio

matt6808 13:34 07 Jan 09

Cheers for the response, no i didn't make the restore disk i'm kicking myself.. i've tried that its still going slow.. the google gadget that shows your CPU Memory Disk and Network useage, the disk part is always working even when i'm not doing anything, my network is just blank. Do i need to read anything into the bittorrents??? When i went into them a few that i thought were succesful showed up errors.

birdface 13:51 07 Jan 09

Maybe run the removal tool for mcAfee.click here

birdface 13:57 07 Jan 09

Or maybe a system restore to a date when your laptop was running Ok.

matt6808 23:24 07 Jan 09

I've tried that it still seems slow buteman. I'd like to go back to the factory settings. i wont be losing to much because i only have it a since christmas. Any ideas on how to do it??

Diodorus Siculus 23:40 07 Jan 09

Is it still possible to make the restore disks? I am not sure about Sonys... worth trying it but I don't know if it creates disks which back up the current state of the machine.

birdface 01:12 08 Jan 09

Googled.click here= Just something to look at until you get help.

birdface 01:14 08 Jan 09

have you tried your system restore in safe mode.That should take you back to Xmas when you got it.Not sure how you do it in Vista though.

MCE2K5 02:52 08 Jan 09

Sony Vaio factory restore From Hard Drive (Hidden Partition) click here

How can I create recovery disc set for my VAIO that has HDDR? click here

matt6808 23:18 09 Jan 09

Cheers lads for the tips, big tanks to MCE2K5.. Life saver or computer saver.. cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…